Marriage is funny. Working things out with another human is strange. Talking about it with college girls is even weirder. I have realized this past weekend that I am offically in the next "phase" of life. Older. Married. No kids. Phase of life. Go fight win...birthday 29.
This is where I feel like our marriage is now: (so glad I'm on this ride with Bryan!)
The Road of Life
At first, I saw God as my observer, my judge, keeping track of the things I did wrong,
so as to know whether I merited heaven or hell when I die.
He was out there sort of like a president. I recognized His picture when I saw it, but I really didn't know Him.
But later on when I met Christ, it seemed as though life was rather like a bike ride,
but it was a tandem bike, and I noticed that Christ was in the back helping me pedal.
I don't know just when it was that He suggested we change places,
but life has not been the same since.
When I had control, I knew the way. It was rather boring, but predictable . . .
It was the shortest distance between two points.
But when He took the lead, He knew delightful long cuts,
up mountains, and through rocky places at breakneck speeds, it was all I could do to hang on!
Even though it looked like madness, He said, "Pedal!"
I worried and was anxious and asked,
"Where are you taking me?"
He laughed and didn't answer, and I started to learn to trust.
I forgot my boring life and entered into the adventure.
And when I'd say, "I'm scared," He'd lean back and touch my hand.
He took me to people with gifts that I needed, gifts of healing,
acceptance, and joy. They gave me gifts to take on my journey, my Lord's and mine.
And we were off again. He said, "Give the gifts away; they're extra baggage, too much weight."
So I gave the gifts to the people we met, and I found that in giving I received, and still our burden was light.
I did not trust Him, at first, in control of my life. I thought He'd wreck it; but He knows bike secrets,
knows how to make it bend to take sharp corners, knows how to jump to clear high rocks,
knows how to fly to shorten scary passages.
And I am learning to shut up
and pedal
in the strangest places,
and I'm beginning to enjoy the view
and the cool breeze on my face
with my delightful constant companion, Jesus Christ.
And when I'm sure I just can't do anymore,
He just smiles and says . . . "Pedal."
-- author unknown Copied from Holy Sweat by Tim Hansel (which by the way is an excellent book).
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I adore this. I read it not too long ago and fell in love. It is such a beautiful picture of how fun, exciting, sweet, and perfect our relationship with God can be. :]
ReplyDeleteBut, he knows bike secrets....BEST LINE EVER. I miss you, Gracie.
ReplyDelete